Thursday, August 20, 2009

Independence Day Celebration in Holland

Yes, every true proud Indian always like to cherish this day...the Independence Day. No matter wherever he or she is, Independence Day is always a special for all Indians. How can I be an exception? This year, thanks it was Saturday, we celebrated 63rd Independence Day at Embassy in Den Haag. It was even special because it was Madhura's 1st Independence Day to experience.





When we entered the Embassy, all cheerful familiar Indian faces were everywhere, and we just felt we were in India... just a home away from home. Many people were wearing 'Mangal Vesh' and mood was just patriotic. Exactly at 9.00 AM, H.E. Ambassador Mr. Singh arrived and he unfurled the tri-color. This has always been an exciting moment for me to experience the flag hoisting. And then everyone started saying 'Jan Gan Man.... ' . One strange thing about this song is that I always became emotional when I sing our national anthem... A miraculous wave of air fills my heart and I feel proud. ' Bharat Mata ki Jay'


Madhura was looking at the tri-color with her always-smiling face and heard national anthem for the first time... and I saw a contentment on her face. She was happy. She must be proud. Every year when I go for the Independence Day function, my mind goes back in past when I was in NCC Airwing and was selected for Parade. I was excited and marched past the flag, with a sharp salute. The Airforce band, the sound of the march, footsteps is still heard in my ears. I still remember polishing my shoes, belt and the flying eagle on my airforce cap and wearing that great sky blue colour NCC uniform... wearing all my earned medals on left side of my shirt and staring it for a long time to see my achievements... Damn...why didnt I go the Airforce, I still wonder!!!


Then there was one Independence Day when I was in Nepal... I remember how I struggled to cross the border just to attend the function and see the tri-color. The memories are still fresh in my mind. For the first time in my life, I realised how much I missed my country, how much I wanted to be there, how much I longed to smell the 'mitti' of my motherland... I have the same feeling even today when I step out in Mumbai airport and smell the air...


And here... when I heard people saying that they attend the function to eat a free Samosa and Gulabjamun, it hurts! When people living near Embassy dont show up for the function, saying that they wanted to sleep on Saturday morning...it hurts! When I see corruption, poverty, instability in my country, it hurts! I have to do something for the country, more than what I do now. I am determined.

... And that day when Jan Gan Man... was playing at the end of a movie, I suddenly saw that Mukta was standing with Madhura to respect the national anthem, I learnt a lesson and my respect for her doubbled.

... I am out of words and infinite unexpressable feelings for 'Akhanda Bharata' are just unstoppable... I am a proud 'Bharatiya'

No comments:

Post a Comment